Kate Says Stuff is all about life with four fabulous children and a Supertrucker husband. Kate writes of family life, recipes and household organisation along with regular product reviews and giveaways. She is also a founding blogger at Autism: In Our Own Words sharing the trials and tribulations of having two children on the autism spectrum.
You know you are a bad mother if...
You know you are a bad mother if....
- You had a homebirth. Or a hospital birth. Maybe a caesarean. Whichever it was, you are doing it wrong and if you've not figured that out yet someone will be along to tell you so shortly.
- You breastfeed/comp feed/bottle feed. If you breastfeed be sure not to do it publicly, what do you think breasts are for for goodness sake?! If you bottle feed be sure not to do it publicly, what do you think breasts are for for goodness sake? Maybe just stay home, is the safest option.
- Your baby sleeps in your bed. Or in a cot next to your bed. Or down the hall. Babies don't belong in adult bedrooms. What do you think breasts are for for goodness sake? Oh wait, what? Babies should not sleep in a room separate to their parents either though. If you are very lucky like me, sleep is a thing from the far distant past and really the where is academic because it ins’t happening anyway.
- If your child is a rubbish sleeper you take them to sleep school, or you co-sleep for a while, or you just curse under your breath a lot. Don't worry, you're a Bad Mother no matter what you do when it comes to sleep issues.
- You stay at home full time, work part-time or work full time. Your child never/sometimes/always goes to childcare. Has anyone told you how badly messed up your kid will be because of this?!
I've been a mother for nearly nine years now. A Very Bad Mother at that if you consider all the things I've done wrong according to various sources.
But here's the thing... Every *wrong* thing I've done I have done based on research, what works for my own family and my love for my children. I am willing to bet those Bad Mothers who have done the exact opposite to me have done so for the same reasons.
So maybe we aren't so bad after all? Maybe in fact we are just different?
Are you a Bad Mother?