Polenta pizzasNo comments
Among the many glutenfree people I meet, almost all say they miss pizza more than any other food. This version is sure to please those who are glutenfree as well as those who are not. The crust can be made hours in advance. Keep it wrapped and refrigerated, and bake it when you make your topping.
- 720ml vegetable stock (for crust)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (for crust)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (for crust)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (for crust)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley (for crust)
- Freshly ground black pepper (for crust)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (for crust)
- 200g polenta cornmeal (for crust)
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 maitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch kale, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- pasta sauce for base
More recipes like this
- TO PREPARE CRUST: Over high heat, bring stock to boil. Reduce heat to medium and add salt, basil, oregano, parsley, pepper and olive oil. Whisking continuously, pour in polenta and continue whisking for 5–7 minutes until smooth and thick. Pour into two 11inch tart pans and spread evenly over bottom of each pan. Cool slightly and then refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and place pizza stone or baking sheet on middle rack. Remove polenta from refrigerator, sprinkle pizza stone or baking sheet with cornmeal, transfer polenta to stone or baking sheet and bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- TO PREPARE TOPPING: Place large pan over medium heat and sauté leek in 11⁄2 tablespoons olive oil for 3 minutes. Add mirin and sauté 2 minutes longer. Crumble maitake mushrooms, add to pan and sauté 5 minutes or until soft. Fold in kale and sauté 3 minutes longer. Drizzle with remaining olive oil, season to taste with salt and black pepper and remove from heat.
- Spread pasta sauce or parsley pesto evenly over crust, leaving a 1⁄2inch edge. Top with kale or chard mixture and return to oven to bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cut with pizza wheel and serve.